Pentasport Basketball Rules
***Rules applicable for all sports: To be eligible for playoffs, participants should play in at least 3 regular season games for their team. The purpose of the league reps are not to referee the games. Team captains and their teams are expected to referee their own games responsibly. League Reps will step-in to make important calls and clarify rules at their own discretion. If issues arise, team captains are asked to come together and speak to the League Rep. No other player except for a team captain should approach the League Rep with issues***
- Please be at the courts 10 minutes before the start of your game. Games consist of two 25 minute halves with a five minute half-time break. If both teams want to play through the half-time, it is to the discretion of the event coordinator. There are no timeouts permitted.
- Games are played 5-a-side. At all times, your team must have at least 2 females on the floor. Teams can play with a minimum of 4 players including at least 1 female. You cannot substitute a male player for the missing female unless the other team agrees so.
- Games start with a jump ball, with either the League Representative, or another team member, tossing the ball. 2nd half starts with the other team getting possession to start.
- Defensive play is man to man only – no zone defenses.
- Full court man-to-man pressure is permitted. Should a team lead the game by more 15 points or more, the full court pressure must be removed by the team that is leading
- ***A guy may not leave his feet to block a girl; if they do the basket will count. A guy may stick his hands straight in the air to play defense***
- Rotate players at your discretion. Sub in on the offensive only before the ball has crossed half court.
- All games are self-refereed. Please play safely in a sportsmanlike manner and with good spirit. ANY ROUGH OR PHYSICAL PLAY WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE EXPULSION FROM FURTHER GAME PLAY.
- The over and back rule is in effect. If a team plays the ball over the midcourt line and then plays the ball back across the line into their own half, the other team shall take possession on the sideline at centre court.
- In the event of a jumpball (two opponents are both holding possession of the ball for 3 seconds), the ball is awarded to the defense
- All other standard basketball regulations apply.
- (Added 10/19/2017): No free throws are awarded. All fouls will result in the team with foul committed against to start possession of the ball from just inside the midcourt line on the offensive zone.
- (Added 10/19/2017): Screens are permitted. However, an offensive player setting the pick must remain stationary at the moment of contact with the defender; a screen is illegal if the screener is moving while making contact.