Pentasport Indoor Volleyball Rules
***Rules applicable for all sports: To be eligible for playoffs, participants should play in at least 3 regular season games for their team. The purpose of the league reps are not to referee the games. Team captains and their teams are expected to referee their own games responsibly. League Reps will step-in to make important calls and clarify rules at their own discretion. If issues arise, team captains are asked to come together and speak to the League Rep. No other player except for a team captain should approach the League Rep with issues***
- Please be at the courts 10 minutes before the start of your game.
- Standard 6 per team on the court at one time. There must be at least 2 females on the court at all times.
- In addition, a team must field at least 3 players, one of whom must be female in order to play.
- Each game is over after 25 minutes. The team with the higher number of points at the end of 25 minutes will be awarded the win
- (Updated 9/4/17) The team with the highest number of matches won (1st place) will get 3 points in the standings, 2nd place will get 2 points, and 3rd place 1 points. If there’s a tie for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, the team with the better point differential will be the tiebreaker.
- Games are self refereed. (Updated 9/4/17) If your team is sitting off, please help to keep score
- Rock, paper, scissors for 1st serve
- All balls must be hit cleanly.
- Players cannot touch the net with any part of the body while the ball is in play. If the ball is driven into the net with such force that it causes the net to contact an opposing player, no infraction will be called, and the ball shall continue to be in play
- A ball that lands in another court is considered out
- A served ball may not be blocked or attacked directly back over the net
- If a player blocks a driven ball and the ball comes onto their own team’s side, the block does not count as a hit towards the three-hit limit (i.e. the team may still have 3 additional hits after the block).
- If a back-row player is in front of the attack line and plays the ball over the net, he/she must contact the ball below the height of the net.
- Players must rotate positions as well as serve with each side-out.
- Updated 9/21/17: In the case of a tie in the regular season round robin; teams will play a one point showdown to declare the winner of that game
- Updated 4/30/18. Substitutions can only be made in the back middle position.